Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Back to Africa

For those of you that dont know this, im heading with a group of 6 or 7 college students to Africa in about 3 weeks. Its been about 2 years since I was last there, and I must be honest, it has been too long.

You find this out about places like Africa, they get inside you, they change you. You can never go home and forget about the people, the place, the experience. It gets inside you, Africa gets inside you, and it never goes away. It only grows, your longing to go back grows. Quite honestly, its like magic. Its just one of those places were the people are so genuine and so affectionate, passionate, so honest, its hard to ever be the same after encountering them.

Being in Africa is like being in the presence of God. Rarely in my life have ever felt so alive, so close to home, than in Africa. The first day that I awoke in Africa, I walked out the door to my room, out into the open air. I turned to my right to try and find my leaders, and before me, about 20 yards ahead, was a white monkey. It watched me as I approached. It sat there studying me, then wandered off into the greenery. As little of a thing as that was, that was when it really hit me. This was Africa, I was in Africa.

But I can attest I was not fully awake to Africa yet. That experience happened the day we rode into the Kisanga Valley, after 2 days of flying and 2 days of driving, culminating in a welcoming party the likes that royalty never get. I saw the peolpe standing and chanting outside out coaster(mini bus) and I heard their welcoming cries. I couldnt understand the language, but ive never felt so welcome in my entire life, anywhere. The day I stepped into the Kisanga valley was the day another part of me came alive, and I have never been the same.

I think God awoke in me a part of me that had been asleep. He had pushed me to action, to act out my faith, and to see what I was missing. For, the African people have something us Americans almost never have. True joy. No matter what the circumstances, no matter what the situation, they appreciate what they have, and live like their life is worth living, like it has a purpose.

Many of us Americans never understand that, and even many that say they do understand it cant truly. The only way a persons life will ever matter ultimately, is if they truly find the purpose for which they were created. And the most ultimate reason any of us were created was because God made us to love each other, to love Him, and to share our love with those who dont know it. If we arent doing that, if we arent truly living out Gods plan for us, we will never be affective change-makers in the world. We all must find the niche God has made us for. If we dont, we negate the chance to change the world.

Africans know that there is something more to this world than just us. More than "...a walking shadow, a poor player That struts and frets his hour upon the stage, And then is heard no more. It is a tale Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing."

They know that there is something more, they just need someone to show them enough love to tell them about it.

And now my rambling is done. If your not a Christian and reading my blog, you probably think this blog was really boring, and I applaud you for even finishing it. Maybe it peaked your interest? I doubt my ramblings have that affect, but hey, you never know can you?

Peace and Love

Back to Africa 6/8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment